Sunday, January 6

Recipe Test: Banana Chocolate Chunk Almond Butter Cookies

Banana Chocolate Chunk Almond Butter Cookies. What a mouthful! Literally too :) 
Wow! These came out quite delicious.
I stumbled across the recipe a few months ago. Of course my Costco sized bag of milled flax seed was at home, so I had to wait until my next visit to test this recipe out. 




I loved the ingredients list at first sight. Flax, banana, almond butter? Sounds like the perfect cookie!

The banana adds the perfect sweetness, the flax creates a chewy inside yet crisp outside, and the almond butter helps create the nice "doughy" texture. I added unsweetened chocolate chunks to my cookies, but that is the type I like in my cookies. Feel free to use your favorite chocolate in yours!

Adapted from this recipe by the lovely Cassie. 

I divided the recipe by 3 because that's a lot of cookies for me to keep on hand. This is my adaption, but feel free to use her recipe for a larger quantity. 

Banana Chocolate Chunk Almond Butter Cookies
Makes 6 cookies
Prep time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 15 minutes
Ingredients
1 Medium-large Super-Ripe Banana*
2 Tbsp. Almond Butter (generous tbsp.)
3/4 C. Milled Flax Seed
1/4 Tsp. Baking Soda
1/4 C. Chocolate**
A pinch of salt

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
2. Roughly slice the banana and slightly mash. Add the almond butter and continue to mash until there is a smooth batter.
3. Separately, mix the flax seed, baking soda, and salt. 
4. Add the banana mixture to the dry ingredients and mix. Add in your chocolate.
5. The dough will be rather sticky, but dollop the dough on the cookie sheet and press into a round form. (It helps to wet your fingers slightly.)
6. Bake until the outside is golden brown (about 15 minutes).

* I like eating desserts that are not very sweet. If you like a sweeter dessert, feel free to experiment with adding a packet or two of sweetener or maybe a tbsp. of dry sweetener. I have not tested either of these adaptions so I can not vouch for the results.
** Like I mentioned above, I used unsweetened chocolate. Feel free to try your favorite baking chocolate, chips or chopped is fine. 



I ate four a few ;) cookies while baking my family their favorite cookie recipe. Their favorite recipe isn't the healthiest but it is very delicious. I enjoyed my cookies while they enjoyed theirs! Its lovely when everyone gets to enjoy a treat together!

Enjoy  without one ounce of guilt! 

No comments:

Post a Comment