Saturday, January 19

Pumpkin Berry Breakfast Bowl

Yes, yes. I know. Christmas was just under a month ago. Thanksgiving, two months. But I am one of those people who, once they find a breakfast, will eat it for months on end. Last year, my favorite breakfast was berries topped with raw oats and almond butter. So good! Before that, it was a banana and peanut butter. A couple years ago I ate a bowl of oatmeal made with just oats and water. (Yeah, that was kind of crazy. How boring is that? But I guess the simple things can be the best!) Before that I used to eat a banana mashed with milk and leftover plain rice with cinnamon. The reason I can remember all of these is because I literally ate them for months on end. Yes, I know switching up your diet is important, but I like morning routines. Also, it is awesome when you are all excited for the next days breakfast because it's awesome :)



Ok, so my current breakfast fave is Pumpkin Berry Breakfast Bowl. 

Yeah, I know. Doesn't photograph the best. 

Here's what I like about this breakfast:

  • Lots of water to start your day off hydrated and to fill you up
  • Healthy fats
  • Whole grains
  • Protein
  • Get 2 servings of fruits out of the way (Pumpkin is technically a fruit!)
  • No added sugar
  • It is made the night before
  • Easy peasy!
Awesome right?

There really isn't a recipe to make this. Its one of those guestimate, no fuss things. But I'll tell you how I make it, and then you can play around with it on your own. 

Pumpkin Berry Bowl
1 heaping C. of your favorite berries

1/3 C. Pureed Pumpkin (I use store bought)
1/4 Package of Mori-Nu Tofu (Firm or extra firm)
1/4 C. Oats
2 Tbs. Pecans, chopped
1/4 Tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice
3/4 C. Non-dairy Milk

Directions: Mash pumpkin and tofu as best you can. (if you prefer to have a smooth as possible, feel free to blend it. I don't think it's worth it to dirty another dish so I just mash with a fork.) Add milk and oats and continue to mash until as smooth as you like. Mix in pumpkin pie spice. Refrigerate overnight so the oats absorb some of the liquid and the mixture's flavors meld. In the morning, top with chopped pecans and berries!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment